Monday, November 22, 2010

Robot. Dot.


In all my naivete, I used to once think that film-making is an art. Till I watched Robot, that is.
It was then that I realised that sometimes, film-watching is a greater art, requiring sublime patience to endure and sift through a three-hour (okay, leave out that last 45minutes) gaudy, kitsch-filled ordeal, in the name of hero-worship.

Robot, I am being told, is the costliest Indian film to-date, having sucked in a whopping Rs. 150Crores. To show for it, it has admittedly some of the best technical & digital effects, which have yet to be seen in any Indian movie. Specially the last 30-45 minutes do remind one of a Hollywood movie and are truly a treat to watch on the big screen.

But surely, a film is not just technology, is it? Even if it stars the biggest phenomenon called Rajnikant, it would do well for a film to have some decent emotional content, even passable music, and at least some semblance of acting from the supporting cast. Not here, unfortunately. Scratch the surface sheen and you would find, what I suspect, would be a purely run-of-the-mill Tamil film were it not for Rajnikant. Is that a strength of this top-grosser till date, I do not know.

I have to say that even though I am not sold on Rajni antics, and have not followed him in Tamil movies, Rajnikant is one genuine & honest actor, who I have always liked - right from Geraftaar and Andha Kanoon up to Hum. Somehow, he rises above the context. Which is why he is a superstar that he is.

Robot is all about Rajnikant. And some more. Rest is, as Chitti says - dot.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails