Saturday, August 14, 2010

64th Independence Day - Hope and Despair

On the eve of 64th anniversary of Indian Independence Day, my feelings alternate between hope and despair.
I am filled with hope when I realise that I am a citizen of the great democratic republic of India, which is a political & economic superpower in the making, taking great strides towards occupying a major role in the world order sooner than later.
Ominous clouds of despair, however, surround me when I realise how hollow these achievements sound in the deafening cries of burning Kashmir, Maoist violence, corrupt political and social system, hunger, poverty...a country failed by its people - us.
While I contemplate which of these two Indias is a reality, I am sure of one thing - I am proud to be an Indian!

Here is wishing you a very Happy Indian Independence Day! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails