Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Paincho!!

I remember, in my child-hood, swear & curse words being referred to as “helping verbs”. At that time, the reason for this nomenclature eluded me but now, in saaddi Dilli, I realize the aptness.

Now when my work, and pleasure occasionally, takes me around Delhi, and when my ears are treated to a wide variety of lingo – all peppered with enough garnishing of these “helping verbs”, I find that your everyday “Painchos” and “Machos” indeed do help a large number of Delhites make meaningful conversations with their fellow citizens.

So much so that there are people I know who, if their p…’s and m….’s are proscribed, would be left completely tongue-tied, devoid of even rudimentary conversation tools and skills.

So, the next time when you crib about the lack of decent language & tehzeeb in Delhi, spare a thought for those true Delhites who, but for these helping verbs, would not have been able to talk even, let alone talking properly, poor chaps!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails