Sunday, March 13, 2005

Delhi

In spite of living near & working in Delhi for quite some time now, Delhi never ceases to find newer means and ways to amaze me.

Today, after I got on one of the notorious blue-line buses on my last lap to office, I realized to my horror that I was 50 paise short of the minimum fare of Rupees 2 – in loose change, I mean.

With a confident demeanour, which I hoped would carry me through, I handed over the two coins – 1 rupee and 50 paise – to the conductor, who looked every inch a worthy specimen of the perpetually unwashed species of blue-line conductors. “Aath aane kam hain, agle stop tak jaana hai (The change is fifty paise short but I have to get down at the next stop itself)”. I presumed he would grant my intentions a benefit of doubt and would waive me through. After all, I hoped, I didn’t look a person who would lie to save a pittance.

Instead, he looked disdainfully at the 50 paise coin, glowered at me and barked – “Pachaas Paise ka sikka nahin chalta bhaisahab, Is mein to ek paani ka gilaas bhi nahin aayega” (This coin won’t do, won’t even buy a glass of water). I was stumped! Of course, I had no choice but to fork out a 100-rupee note for want of a fifty-paise coin.

But, “Nahin Chalta!” Now, what does that mean? As far I understand, a 50 paise coin does represent a perfectly valid, if probably the smallest, denomination of the legitimate Indian national currency (correct me if I’m wrong). There is absolutely no reason why it would not be acceptable as a bus-fare when it does work in even the swanky malls and cineplexes.

Put this person in any other Indian city and chances are, he would calmly ask you to look for another 50 paise for the full fare. But here in Delhi, it is beneath his dignity to acknowledge the existence of any coin lesser than a 1-rupee.

I remember around 2 years back there was a brief period during which there was a short supply of new currency notes. At that time, the whole of northern India accepted even torn notes, preserved in a stapled polythene pouch. But could any self-respecting Delhi-wallah stoop to so low a level? Never!

I am amazed how, in Delhi, which is the national seat of government, could these perfectly valid instruments of governance and finance be refused for no valid reason but just for a lack of their aesthetic appeal? Or is it plain “Size does matter”? I am amazed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails